April 27, 2009

Hashima Island

Last night I happened upon the History Channel's 'Life After People'. From the previews, I thought it looked ridiculous, and it was. Apparently, the History Channel has become the what if channel.
But what could be more modular man than the world after people? What is more transient than the passing of time without humans?
The most interesting part was on Hashima island, an old mining island off Japan that has been deserted since '74. They used it as an illustration of attrition in the absence of man. It reminded me of scenes from The Road, or of being a kid in eastern Washington and finding empty mining sites in the mountains, as if one day everyone just up and walked away.



I found this video from Thomas Nordanstad, its worth the watch:

HASHIMA, Japan, 2002 documentary version from Thomas Nordanstad on Vimeo.
Hashima island at wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. I watched that a while back. I also thought the show was absurd. I prefer Bill Peet's The Wump World.

    ReplyDelete